Math this week focused on the commutative property of multiplication, which just means understanding that the order of the factors in a multiplication problem doesn't change the answer. So for example, 3 x 6 is the same as 6 x 3. The kids did really great with it, so next week we're moving onto the associative property!
In science, we wrapped up our study of classification of living things. Our Mass prep cut into our science time a bit this week so we didn't get started on our next topic like I would have liked, so we'll be starting this next week with our plant life studies.
We took our first social studies test last week and the kids did great! They really did a nice job on their quizzes and I can tell they have already learned a lot about our great state! We also started our next unit of study; history! My favorite! We started by reading a little bit about the first inhabitants of our state, the Native Americans, and also started thinking like historians. I rented a box of artifacts from the Mackinac Parks that the students were able to explore on Friday. They did a great job thinking about what the items were and what it told us about the history of the area where they were found. We're going to spend a little more time with the artifacts next week before I have to send them back.
- Report cards will be send home on Tuesday. I will include a copy for you to keep for your records, please sign and return the blue one in the manila envelope.
- Conferences are Thursday, November 12, you should be getting a note with your time sometime this week.
- No school on Friday, November 13
- Book orders are due soon (I don't remember the date, but that students have been writing it in their agendas). Order online at scholastic.com with the code L49RZ.
- New electives start on Monday, November 9
- If you do a lot of online shopping or plan to shop online for Christmas gifts, consider signing up for ziggedy. It works like ebates and gives our class a small percentage of your purchase. Let me know if you have any questions. There is also an option to install a reminder on your toolbar. I've had it installed for awhile now and it doesn't cause any problems (I'm always leery about that kind of thing). If you leave it installed for 90 days, our class automatically earns $5 for our Ziggedy bank.