The students learned about Blessed John of Fiesole and the virtue of stewardship. The students learned about how the Lord lead Fr. Fiesole in his paintings and got to draw a picture of how they can be stewards of God's gifts using the style of Fr. Fiesole!
In language arts, we have been paying special attention to the parts of speech. The kids have done a great job finding examples of nouns, verbs (action and being), and adjectives in the stories that they are reading. I can already see improvements in their Simple Solutions.
One other big thing was that we finished reading City of Ember! The kids loved it so we started watching the movie version before we left for the break.
In math, we started something new, even for me! EngageNY has this crazy thing called a "tape diagram". It seemed really weird at first, but it has been great for helping the students to break apart word problems and has made using arrays much more meaningful. It is also really great for showing the connections between multiplication and division. It lends itself well to fractions, so I'm assuming that we'll be using these throughout the year.
Here's an example:
Rosie puts 2 lemon slices in each cup of iced tea. She uses a total of 8 slices. How many cups of iced tea does Rosie make? (check out the diagram to the right)
- Advent starts this week!
- Fundraiser orders will be at school on Thursday, December 3. If you know your child had a large order or if he or she rides the bus, you may want to make arrangements to pick it up.
- Friday (December 4) is hat day/dress down with a donation for the homeless (a list of suggested items was sent home in the monthly office newsletter).
- Interims go home on the 15th. With the holiday and Peach's birthday, I'm a bit behind of correcting. I'm hoping to get caught up on engrade sometime this week.
- There will be a holiday gift shop at the school this year on December 15-16. The students can bring money to shop for gifts for Christmas.
- The Christmas program will be on December 21 at 6:00 pm in the gym.
- December 23 - Birthday party for Jesus, the kids can bring in their baby Jesus from home to have blessed. They should also bring a baby gift to donate for babies in need.
- The 7th/8th grade is selling wreaths to help fund their end of the year trip to Detroit. They are beautiful and last for a long time. They are $22 and order forms are available in the office or from Mr. Erickson. (Or just email me and I can fill out the form for you.)